I am so excited about this! This is the first project I have completed for my dining room make-over and it turned out pretty much exactly how I envisioned it in my head. Although, getting to this point cost a bit more than I originally hoped…the grand total is $70. I’ll break it down for you as we go.
My new bar used to be someone else’s ugly old microwave cabinet.
I got this baby for $25 from a lovely couple I found on Craigslist. It had been in a storage unit for quite some time. It had a broken door and was pretty much covered in spider webs. My husband certainly doubted me when he saw it since I hyped it up quite a bit (so maybe it was less than perfect).
First, I took the doors, hinges and knobs off and found suitable replacements for the knobs and hinges. I also knew I wanted faux glass front doors so I got an acrylic sheet, plastic cutter and silicone sealant. All of these supplies were $30. I already had sandpaper and paint on hand.
The second order of business was to get rid of the curvy lines on the top and bottom edges of the cabinet. We are simple folks and we like simple modern furniture. I used my jigsaw for this (my most recent v-day gift!).
I then cut the middles out of the doors. This part was a bit tricky. I used a very sharp utility knife to heavily score around all four edges on both sides of the door, eventually enough to pop it out.
I sanded and painted everything with a black satin finish (same paint I used here)
Then (not) patiently waited for it to dry… hardest part. While I waited I cut the plastic for the doors to size, just a bit larger all the way around than the openings. Once the paint was dry I used the silicone to hold it in place. The only thing I would have done differently here is if I had a router would have routed out along the edge of the opening so the plastic would be flush with the inside of the door…I literally tossed and turned all night last night trying to think of a way to cover the ugly edge of the plastic (obsessed much?) so if you have a router, do it right.
I wanted the middle of my plastic to be “etched” to match my next project (which will be the buffet and I’ll share soon!) and there are a few ways to accomplish this with plastic. I used steel wool. I taped off what I wanted etched and then just buffed the plastic with steel wool in a circular motion until I got the effect I wanted. I have read you can also do this with sandpaper or acetone based nail polish remover.
Once the doors were on, I attached the mirrors. I got six of these little 6″ beveled edge square mirrors from Hobby Lobby for $3 each. Way more than I wanted to spend on mirrors but I felt it was an important part of the make-over. I attached them with silicone (and obviously didn’t clean them after…)
The last step was the bar mat for the top surface. There was no way I was dropping $30 on a real bar mat to fit this spot so I improvised. I got a roll of black rubber shelf liner at the dollar store for $2 and cut it to size. It’s not exactly what I wanted but it will have to do the job until I find free or cheap bar mat to replace it.
That’s it! I can’t stop staring at this thing. I’m pretty surprised and amazed that it actually turned out the way I envisioned it. 🙂 Tomorrow, I’ll show you the simple shelf I’m using for storage.
Have a great Thursday!