Howdy! Hey, I know it’s late and you’ve been waiting for this all day (ok, maybe not) but, here it is.
Day two of my Southwest Style fiesta is all about jewelery. DIY jewelery to be exact.
I don’t have step by step pictures for you as I’ve been feverishly working on this stuff for the past two days with interruptions, snafus, material hunting and blisters (aaand gluing my fingers together 😦 ).
I’m going to give you a quick run-down of how these little beauties were made. And let me also disclaim that I realize this is not your traditional southwest jewelery. It’s my modern take after being inspired by searching the web.
Before you scroll down to read my secrets, try to guess what materials I used 🙂 you might be surprised.
1. Bronzy Feather Pendant
- Chain, jump rings, lobster clasp and one of those long pieces of wire with the loop on the end for beads…I’m drawing a blank
- homemade salt dough try this recipe from the lovely katy elliott
- metallic brush markers in black and bronze
I made the dough then shaped my feather then stuck in the bead thing. Once it was hardened (took about a week) I used the black marker to get into the nooks and crannys then several coats of the bronze. Attached a jump ring to the feather and one end of the chain, lobster clasp on other end and you’re done!
2. Suede Tassel Earrings
- Two different colors of suede fringe (I got them at Wal-mart $1 for 8 ft)
- Chain, two large jump rings and two small, earring thingamajig (man, I am on the ball tonight)
- gorilla glue or some other fast drying glue that dries clear
- wire cutters, pliers
I used two 8 inch lengths of turquoise suede and two 8 inch lengths of orange then cut four 4 inch lengths of chain. Line up one turquoise and one orange together then fold in half and knot onto one of the large jump rings. Attach two pieces of chain to a small jump ring and then attach that to the big one then attach to earring thing.
3, 4 and 5
All of these use the same materials:
- Shoebox (yep!)
- chain, jump rings, earring do-daddys, lobster clasps
- Metallic Silver Paint pen
- Scissors/utility knife and pliers
I cut up a shoe box to make it flat then drew my designs and cut them out. Painted two coats (front and back) with the paint pen. I used my seam ripper to make holes for the jump rings. Easy peasy 🙂
6. Painted Leather Earrings
- Leather ( I cut mine from an old purse)
- acrylic paint
- stencil (optional)
- jump rings, chain…you know the drill
I cut the leather in the shape I wanted then painted. For the white part I used a stencil after the yellow was dry. Attach rings, chain etc.
7. Glittery Fox Pendant
- Same as 3, 4, and 5 except instead of the silver paint I used some gold nail polish and gold glitter
You may want to finish up with a spray sealant to keep your fox from ‘shedding’ (tee hee)
So, that’s it folks!
Have a great evening and don’t forget to stop by tomorrow for more Southwest Style fun. I have a really neat project that’s ready for the sharing!